May 13, 2007

Happy Mom's Day!

Well, it's been a busy weekend around these parts! Yesterday Mom, Ellie and I went garage-saling. We actually found a couple of sales that had some decent stuff! My $16 total investment yielded me a nice full size wooden bed frame (admitted, Wes has to repair it, BUT, it is cute and was FREE - yes FREE), a drawing/painting/chalkboard easel for Ellie, a pyrex pie plate (we all need one of these!) and about 5 yards of decorator/upholstry fabric (a really nice neutral pattern). It was fun to be out wheelin' and dealin'! While we were out and about, Wes was fishing in a charity tournament at Lake Hodges in Escondido. He and the guy he was fishing with came in 2nd out of about 60 teams! Quite an accomplishment, plus they won about $600!! Yeah Wes!

Today was Mother's Day AND my Mom's birthday (it falls on mother's day about every 2-3 years!). Wes, Ellie and I hung out together this morning - Ellie was very thoughtful and got me a nice card and a nice little food processor... I think Daddy may have helped a little! Then, this afternoon Mom, Scott, Kass and Ginger Dog came by. We hung out, snacked on yummy dips & chips, ate pizza & salad for dinner and cupcakes for dessert. Ellie had fun helping Granny (Ellie calls her Annie) open her birthday loot. She also had a BLAST following Ginger around the back yard... I'm not sure who was more tired, Ellie or Ginger.

Hope all the mothers out there enjoyed their day! If not, better luck next year!



Oh, by the way, here is the recipe I promised for the BEST CORN MUFFINS ever:



2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used 8oz + 1/3 cup soy milk)
1/3 cup corn oil (I used canola)
3 TBSP maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs (I used XL)
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries



Preheat oven for 375-degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Mix flour thru salt. Mix yogurt thru eggs. Fold wet ingredients into dry JUST until combined. Fold in berries. Fill the cups to the top and bake 10-15 minutes. Rotate tins and bake 10-12 minutes more or until pick done. Cool 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.



This recipe was in our local paper and was included as part of a review of the book Cowgirl Cuisine. Now that I've typed this info out for you, I'm going over to Amazon to check out this Cowgirls book!



Will post again soon! Have a great one!

No comments: